- 1 Current Active Projects
- 2 STM8S Node
- 3 STM8L Node
- 4 Light Dimmer
- 5 What is "Home Smart Mesh" About ?
- 6 Projects Topics
Current Active Projects
|The IoT Node|
The IoT Node is based on an ultra low cost STM8 development environment
|The Low Power Node|
The STM8L Sensors Node is coin cell powered STM8L Node
|The Safe Light Dimmer|
The Light Dimmer is a safe design to control the light a smart way
What is "Home Smart Mesh" About ?
It is about a concept where volunteers contribute to help others for fast and easy prototyping of a home internet of things environment.
Who can profit of the content we provide ?
- Any commercial or non commercial actor
- Small startups
- Hobby engineers with expertise knowledge
- Technology fans who simply wants things to work
The minimal required knowledge
- How to solder components on a PCB
- How to connect USBs and cables
- How to read wikis, and how to ask questions
Any additional knowledge is welcome to contribute to the community based platform development.
What means "Home Smart Mesh"
- Home: the context is the home automation. Only the definition of the context can define the requirements for the application and optimize the design for a specific use case.
- Smart = logic+battery+wireless: Microcontrollers with logic behind software. No strings attached, usually small enough, yet long term battery powered and able to communicate wirelessly.
- Mesh: The network topology where nodes can communicate with each other as opposed to the star topology where everything goes through one server. That gives an unlimited range as long as intermediate nodes are available.
Problems for which we try to bring answers
- Price & Economies: Devices cost sometimes x10 x20 times the production cost due to very high early engineering costs. Important economies like energy economy are sometimes triggered by investments in such devices. These investments have to be affordable to a small budget. It is paradoxical to think that you have to be rich to be able to make energy economies. For example monitoring the temperature and controlling the heating to spend it only where and when you need it.
- Interoperability: In the currently available products, there are a lot interoperabilities issues. They might be intentionally designed or simply resulting from the fast growing market. A community based development is a guaranty that the protocols acknowledge the users benefits. That prevents ending up in absurd scenarios where 90% of the processing power and resources are spent for IP protection.
- Dependency: Lacking the interoperability creates naturally a Brand dependency. Devices are locked to their manufacturer. Switching to another brand requires another big investment on gateways or other equipment.
Our answer approach
Open Products = Open Hardware + Open Software We try to provide a ready to go solution to interface any user application with the latest sensors or actuators available. That should reduce the time and the cost that the user has to pay before using the latest available components.
|Have any question about the projects ?|
Post it on the Forum
An Internet Of Things Low Cost Platform
Main article: IoT Node Wiki Page
The platform is based on an STM8 microcontroller attached to multiple peripherals such as:
- Radio transceiver module
- Weather sensors : temperature, humidity, air quality.
- RGB Leds
- Gyro / Accel
- Ambient light and user gesture
In the main article you would find:
- How to gather your own Starter Kit. Note that the Debugger is only about 9 €.
- The hardware design files and the zip folder for direct order of PCB from manufacturers.
- The software samples and the free software development environment.
Interfaces (SW/HW) for available IoT devices
These projects are to be documented soon...
This is a non optimal solution but still the cheapest and most realistic.
- Mi.Light based solution.
- Important note 1 : You should not rely on the smart control only of the light if you do not want to stay in the dark. Mi.Light have the auto switch on after power off power on cycle.
- Important note 2 : You should not have to be searching for your phone before being able to switch on the light, simply because you need the light to be switched on so that you can find your phone !
- low cost android tablet: It is used as a permanent light switch. The tablet is cheaper than some smart switches available on the market.
The current weather logging solution is based on mid price sensors. I admit that the headache I got from the Bluetooth development (Target/Host) made me ask myself, do I need all that for a simple temperature report ? Such a complexity with such a price ? I do not need my temperature logger or my ambient light to be secure, as the one who gets close enough to the signal range could also see the light through the window! If I need user access security over the internet then it's at the gateway level that the security has to be not at the IoT node! The target is to cut down the cost when the IoT Node described above is ready.
- Broadcom Sensors Tags (TI also experimental)
- Unlimited Tags with Bluetooth broadcasting firmware
- Bluegiga is an OS independent host usb dongle.
For combining everything together.
live temperature web server
Running webserver with live temperature. I tried the Server Sent Events first then realized that with battery economies of 10 min per sample, taking the latest values on page load is enough for this application.
Remote ipcam monitoring
OpenCV application for remote monitoring. It uses curl for images retrieval and DNS update. It features background modeling, masking, human recognition, record on alerts...